Getting back into the gym
Restrictions have eased once again and we are here to assist with your return to sport. After months of most of us sitting down working from home and significantly decreasing our exercise there’s a few things to consider as you throw yourself back into your exercise regime. We’ve got some advice on how to best get you back into the gym…and keep you there!
With the weather improving, gyms reopening and sport resuming we are all looking forward to exercising once again and enjoying the relative freedom of being outside.
Today we bring you a few tips to make your return to sport or the gym as successful as possible. Given there’s been a few months between lifts/games/runs/events we’ve got some advice to make sure you can get the most out of your return and stay fit and healthy going forward.
- With the time you’ve had away from sport, it’s likely you’ve “de-conditioned” from your pre-lockdown state. Ease back in; drop your intensity or load back to about 70% of what you’re used to (ie. if you normally lift 50kg, start back with 35kg) and only progress when ready;
- Set goals for yourself and stick to them. Make sure they are attainable and realistic and take a friend with you to make you accountable for them. Once you’ve ticked one off the list, make another one. Training and fitness is about progression, but controlled progression;
- Warm up before you start and cool down after you finish. Work on your mobility with dynamic stretching, activation exercises, using trigger balls or foam rollers (we can help with all this!);
- Recover well and don’t rush. We’ve all missed the gym but your recovery is your key to making gains. If you don’t recover you’re more likely to get injured and you won’t be able to get back to the levels you want to attain. Eat well, don’t train every day, drink lots of water and, above all else, sleep. Sleep is the key to recovery;
- Speak to the experts and listen. Your gym is full of people who know what they’re doing and we are always happy to work with them and you to get the best result. Don’t be shy. After so long off we all want to see you get back to your Peak soon;
- Have fun, it’s great to be back!
Of course, this is general advice and all of us are different. If you have any specific questions regarding your own condition please don’t hesitate to contact the clinic on 9813 1016 or CLICK HERE for a booking with one of our Osteopaths or Myotherapists and they will be able to advise you on what you need to do to prepare to return to play.